Neston001The Dock went into the 4th game of their league campaign unchanged from last Thursdays 3.2 home victory over The Brow. Having picked up maximum points from the opening fixtures, hopes were high for another 3 points against a side that had failed to pick up any at all. However, Neston had other idea’s as they took the lead after 10minutes. Having the better of the opening exchanges Neston scored with an unchallenged header from a corner.

As the game settled down Dock began to exert a bit of pressure with Paul Byrne delivering a cross into the box which resulted in a Gary Reay header straight to the keeper. Some good runs down the right from Mick Saunders gave Neston problems but the final ball did not quite reach its intended target and fizzled out to nothing.

The youthful midfield pairing of Crag Johnson and Jack Beech was providing Dock with energy through the middle. Johnson was putting in some strong and telling tackles with Beech complimenting him well by looking to play and putting people in with some cute passing and both were getting through a lot of work in the middle.

Indeed it was Beech’s ball down the right put Saunders in on 43 mins and his resulting cross was mis-hit by Reay. The ball spun up into the air and as the Neston keeper came to collect, Gareth McEvoy was adjudged to have fouled as he challenged the keeper for the ball which ended up in the net. Another run from Saunders on 44mins saw his cross controlled by Reay but he just couldn’t quite tee himself up to get a shot in and the chance was gone. Dock had keeper Paul Davis to thank as he pulled off a superb save to his right to turn the ball around the post to denigh a certain goal on the stroke of half time.

Half time : Dock 0 Neston 1

Dock started the second half in positive fashion with a Mark Head corner headed into the ground and over the bar from Saunders. Soon after this McEvoy was replaced by Luke Hughes with Saunders now partnering Reay and Hughes slotting into the wide right position.

Saunders produced a wonderful trade mark turn that rolled back the years on 55mins, It was at this point that the Referee had ‘a little 5mins’ as he turned down a certain penalty in the 60th minute. Saunders was put through by Beech and he reached the ball first and was duly brought down by the keeper only for the Referee to award a goal kick. In the resulting aftermath of the decision, Referee Muir booked the Keeper for arguing with the Dock line ! ( work that one out ! )

It was in the 75th minute that came the moment of the match. A left foot screamer from 35 yards by Mark Head. An early contender for goal of the season as it rocketed into the goalkeepers top right hand corner to get the Dock back on terms and deservedly so.

Dock pressed for a winner and Neston were hanging on. So much so, that the Neston keeper resorted to time wasting tactics every time they were awarded a goal kick. Dock kept the pressure up and were rewarded on 85mins as Matty Carling popped up with a close range header from a corner much to the delight of himself and his teammates (pictured below). On 86mins Chris Hannon replaced the injured Craig Donaghy who himself had replaced Jack Beech earlier. Mark Head had a chance from a Gary Reay cross only to put his header straight to the keeper in the 90th minute.

A twist in the tail was to surface in the 95th minute. 5minutes injury time added on for the time wasting antics of the Neston keeper amongst other stoppages. A deep free kick was launched into the Dock area , Keeper Davis came to collect and spilled it to the delighted Neston recipient who rolled it into the net to make it 2.2.
Mark Head had a chance after this but his shot sailed past the post and with that the referee blew for full time.
Final Score Dock 2 Neston 2

Man of the match : Craig Johnson.
Match Report: Mike Stephens
Photographs: Chris Stading

Click Here For More Photos of The Neston Nomad Game

Click Here For a Slideshow of The Neston Nomad Game