Parkside 1710100085Our second meeting with Parkside this season ended in a comfortable 5.1 victory. Dock were out the traps on six minutes when master marksman, Gary Reay, netted from six yards when he was put in by Mick Saunders. Saunders has seemingly settled down now after his outrageous demands were not met by the Dock. Rumours are that ‘ The Arm’ turned him down, along with Reay, after a two week trial ended in controversy when Gary Reay demanded the number nine shirt from the regular centre forward. Onlookers have described the resulting catfight as watching Gok Wan slapping Julian Cleary and then throwing a Bacardi and Coke over him before saying “ C’mon Mick, we’re outta here!” Whatever the truth the duo combined well as Reayman opened the scoring.

Dock were playing some good stuff in the opening period with some well constructed moves with Griffiths, Head and ‘Six Fingered’ Hammond (more later) all prominent. Paul Wood was replaced by new signing Liam Simon after fifteen minutes with Woody complaining of a tight hamstring. Another astute signing, as Simon slotted into the back four with ease and gave an assured performance.

Indeed, it was the substitute that nipped in to win the ball in midfield on eighteen minutes and in turn, played it into Saunders who played a neat one-two before calmly putting the ball into the back of the net to make it 2.0.

Two minutes later, the lively Mark Head got down the left and drove into the box, he lost it briefly, only to regain it again to supply a short pass to Reay who’s first touch was superb to setup the chance which was inevitably snapped up for his second of the day and seventieth thousand of his career !

Five minutes after that Mark Head, again down the left, got free and his cross to the far post just evaded everyone steaming in. A minute later, Griffo blazed over the bar when put in by man of the match, Ian Brunt.

Dock got their fourth on twenty nine minutes after another strong run from Head resulted in his cross finding Saunders who almost contrived to miss from two yards out but managed to put it in eventually.

On the half hour mark Lee Hammond scored a goal of the season contender. From just inside their half and spotting the keeper slightly off his line, he unleashed a shot that screamed into the net beyond the despairing dive of the keeper. When interviewed in The Claughton after the game he ensured me that it was a shot on goal and not a long pass toward the far post ! I then asked him if he had six fingers like all footballers from Wallasey ? He showed me his hand and it is true…he had six fingers !

Five up after half an hour and Dock were content to get to half time without troubling the Parkside keeper anymore.
The Wardrobe came off at the break to be replaced by Nemanja Vidic. On 55 minutes Vidic passed the ball back to The Goose for a routine clearance only for the Big Soft Get to let it roll under his foot and into the net !

If you were critical you would say that the Dock switched off in the second half. The only things of note was a Mark Head effort that hit the post on 75 minutes and a Goose save that he tipped onto the bar and saw the rebound land in his arms !

‘Six Fingers Hammo’ was replaced by Sean Holmes on 80 minutes and that was that ! I must mention that Ian Brunt was exceptional with one dummy in the middle of the park that had everyone going for the Echo. The Sissor kick (photo above) needs a bit of work but all in all…… brilliant !

Man of the Match : Ian Brunt….who else ? but a mention must go to Mark Head who is looking dangerous again and could cause some damage in the coming weeks !

Report: Mike Stephens
Photos: Chris Stading


Click Here For More Photos

Click Here For Slideshow