Mike McGraa PenaltyDock recorded a league double over Heygarth on a chilly morning at Levers. Dock appeared to be coasting to the three points at half time, but a stronger showing from the home team made the result much closer than Dock’s play merited.

From the first whistle, Dock were on the front foot, pushing back the home side with some slick passing. The holdup play of front man Mike McGraa, and Steve Duckers willing running at right wing back were particularly impressive.

On seven minutes, a free kick from Jon Clampitt flew just wide after Ian McGraa was fouled on the edge of the box. It wasn’t too long, however, until the breakthrough came. Clampitt was taken out by a high and dangerous challenge by the home ‘keeper and Mike McGraa (pictured left) scored from the spot. The Heygarth ‘keeper was very lucky not to be shown the red card for the foul.

Dock doubled their lead on twenty minutes when midfielder, Luke Hughes and the home ‘keeper contested a through ball on the edge of the box. The ball fell kindly to Clampitt, who coolly slotted home into the empty net.

There were further chances to extend the lead, notably for Mike McGraa and Ian McGraa, but at the break, Dock went in two goals to the good.

HT: Heygarth 0-2 Dock.

Heygarth were given a lifeline after fifty minutes, when the referee adjudged what looked like a perfectly fair challenge from Paul Byrne to be a penalty. Heygarth took advantage of the early Christmas present and reduced the deficit to 1-2.

This spurred the home side into more pressing, but apart from a couple of snapshots and crosses into the box, Martyn Stevenson was relatively untroubled.

After seventy minutes, Dock regained their two goal advantage. After some fine passing, Jamie Kenyon’s volleyed effort was superbly saved by the Heygarth goalie, but Steve Duckers was on hand to slot home from close range.

Tom Charters, Mike McGraa and Luke Hughes all went close to a fourth but the home side made it a nervy last few minutes, when a mistake at the back, gifted them a second goal.

The last minute then saw the home ‘keeper sent off after getting involved on the half way line in a minor altercation. The referee had no option but to show the red card for his troubles.

FT: Heygarth 2-3 Dock.

Dock. 3-5-2 (with substitues in brackets).
Stevenson, Carlin, Byrne, Irving, Duckers, Hughes, Charters (Warburton), Owen, Clampitt (Saunders), M. McGraa, I. McGraa (Kenyon).

Luke Hughes v Heygarth

More Photos

Report: Peter Warburton
Photos: Chris Stading