Colin O'Hanlon BidstonThis mid-week fixture saw Dock take on old adversaries Bidston Hotel and they didn’t disappoint in making it a tough night for the Dock, as is always the way with this side.

Again, with changes to the team that took to the field against Heygarth, Dock had the luxury of leaving master marksman Gary Reay on the bench along with Mark Head, Bernaaaaard Holmes and Charlie McInnes. In came Paul Howells for his full debut, Matty Carlin, after his Shandy bender in Chester, Shaun ‘Taz’ Holmes, the wonderful Ian Brunt and the much anticipated return of last season’s Player of the year, Johno.

Johno lasted barely 5 minutes with a recurrence of a previous injury ( limp wrist ) and was replaced by Javier Head. Dock went one down on 12 minutes and replied 8 minutes later through skipper for the night Nemaja Vidic (pictuerd left). The Goose pulled off a couple of good saves to keep the scores level and on 35 minutes, Mark Head netted from a cross by Tony Sample to make it 2.1. Disappointingly, Dock let the Bidston in for an equaliser five minutes before the half and 2.2 it was at the whistle.

Just as it looked like Dock were getting a foothold early in the second half, Bidston scored to make it 3.2 and less than a minute after the re- start, had an opportunity to increase their lead but shot past the post. Dock had The Goose to thank seconds later, when he pulled off a great save to keep the Bidston at bay.

Bidston had a man sent off on 60 minutes and were now content to sit in and defend and hit the Dock on the break. This they done well and had creativity and pace in their ranks to cause Dock more than enough problems.

Jamie Kenyon was replaced by Gary Reay who had to be pulled out of the chippy over the road and had to go round the long way as he couldn’t get his fat arse over the gate. 15 minutes remained when Javier was replaced by Prince Charles.

The Dock piled on the pressure looking for the equaliser but were susceptible to leaving the back door open ( Brunty territory! ) Howler dragged a shot wide, Reay man was denied by a last ditch tackle and ‘The Wardrobe’ fired over the bar when he should of scored.

The 90 minutes were up when Bidston broke and caught the Dock out. With a clear sight of goal and the Goose not in it, the Bidston forward sliced his shot wide from ten yards out. It was an incredible miss but because it was with seconds to go and Bidston were 3.2 up they made light of it and seemed set for the points.

Dock were awarded a free kick 35 to 40 yards out with the Bidston screaming for the full time whistle. Up stepped Lee Hammond to put it into the danger area. It was that dangerous, that it sailed over everyone, evaded the goalkeepers despairing dive, hit the post and went in!

Bidston had two players dismissed for arguing with the ref, Simon Muir, presumably enquiring how he could play 2 minutes injury time when there was 3 substitutions made for each side, a sending off and a couple of lengthy stoppages for treatment to players.

The whistle blew seconds after the re-start and the Dock had salvaged a point. Let’s get it right, we never played well but kept going until the end, as was the case last Sunday, goals in the 70th and 86th minutes won the day and a goal in the 92nd minute saved the day last night.

Man of the match….Ian Brunt. ( with The Goose a close second for a couple of vital saves )

Report Mike Stephens

Dock v Bidston02

Other Results From Tonight
New Ferry Wirral Hotel 2-3 Woodchurch AFC
Queens Park 2-1 Heygarth
The Tower 2-4 Rock Ferry Social
Stirrup 4-0 Brow