An entertaining game with the spoils shared in a 2.2 draw at a freezing Levers. After last week’s battle with Heygarth in the Cup it was back to league action against Rock Ferry and 3 points were a must if we had aspirations of hanging on to our title. As pointed out to me by Chris (David Bailey) Stading….note the two Rock Ferry scorers….Graves and Coffin! Was this the last nail in our particular Coffin? Time will soon tell on that one but a herculean effort is now required to retain our title.

Dock started in usual fashion….Sean Holmes booked after 2 minutes! Goose rolling the ball out on the edge of his area to someone who bears no resemblance, in looks or style, whatsoever to Franz Beckenbauer or indeed Franco Baresi…..Brunty! ‘The Large Headed One ‘was adamant that he ‘’never asked for it ‘’ I beg to differ.

Goose made amends after 7 minutes when he stood up well to save from close range as The Rock got down the Dock left and on 10 minutes, Sean Holmes showed us what he is good at by jinking across the box and sending in a cross that just eluded the stretching Miguel Saunders.

After a slow start Dock got into their stride as Reayman got to the line and pulled it back for the incoming Josh Dures whose shot was deflected over the bar for a corner. From that corner, Sean Holmes sent in a cross that deflected off a defenders hand into the path of Timmy Bigland who lashed it into the net from 6 yards out.

Lee Hammond, who was clearly drunk, sent in a cross that hit Brunty on the head (couldn’t miss really ) that forced a smart save from the keeper and from the resulting corner ‘The Wardrobe’ got into the act by causing some problems. (Did you know that there are large posters of Tony on display at IKEA and M.F.I. pointing towards the furniture department?)

After 25 mins Liam Simon had to head off the line smartly after Brunty let a lad in through the backdoor (usual stuff from him) and a minute later, Simon again had to get a tackle in to save the day as the ball was bouncing around dangerously in the Dock’s box. On the half hour mark a good break by Bigland found Holmes down the right but he was fouled by the full back. Hammond took the free kick and he found ‘The ‘Drobe’ who headed down to the ‘Master Marksman’ but for once he hit the outstretched boot of the keeper when he should of scored.

As the game was nearing half time, there seemed to be no danger when a speculative lob headed towards the Dock net. Wronnnnng ! Goose somehow let it go in! He may even have helped it in on the way! 1.1 at half time. Goose…. You Tool!

I missed the first 15 mins of the 2nd half as I was on Dock business with Hon.Tres. (At the tea hut ) but I rejoined the action on 60 minutes when Bigland broke into the area to square to Saunders who fired over from 10 yards with the keeper flying out. A minute later Bigland again was in the thick of it when he found Reayman who shot wide. It was on 66 minutes when a Liam Simon free kick from deep found the head of Dures who looped a header towards the far post and in. 2.1 to the Dock.

Rock Ferry responded well as they attacked down the Dock right and as Goose came out, he saw the shot skip wide of his post. On 70 minutes, The Goose atoned for his error on half time when he saved well and got up to punch clear the resulting cross. Further pressure from The Rock came as a shot narrowly shaved the post.

Up the other end a Dures shot was blocked and fell to Saunders who put it over the bar from two yards at the near post. (If I am not mistaken, he is playing for a move to you know who!) It was end to end stuff now and another goal was on the cards.

That goal arrived on 80 minutes; unfortunately it was at the wrong end. Rock centre forward, Coffin, smartly laid the ball off to his winger and his cross was met by Coffins head that found the net with a smartly taken effort. 2.2

In the 85th minute, Hammond (sober by now) had a corner headed off the line and a minute later Jamie Kenyon shot wide as the keeper was advancing. 2 minutes after this, Brunty was flattened by my mate Boydy, who was duly sent off for his misdemeanour. Brunty was replaced a minute later by Donaghy and he left the pitch to thunderous applause and a standing ovation. Everyone agreed that it was Manager McGraa’s best decision of the day! That was the last action of the day and 2.2 it was.

Man of the Match :- Ian Brunt…..(Liam Simon ran him close with some expert defending.)