REPORT BY KEITH COATES (Stockport District Sunday Football League)

Dock AFC v Cale Green 10th February 2019You have to go back to the early days of Cale Green to find something akin to the 6-1 score-line inflicted on them by Dock FC in the Cheshire Cup semi-final. It was no fluke, Dock taking their chances when they arose and defending in numbers when required and thoroughly deserving their win.

There was a sign of what was to come when after five minutes lack of concentration from a free kick which keeper Craig Ellison thought was going out was hooked back by Matt Carlin for his captain Paul Byrne to head past the stranded keeper.

With the strong wind making it hard for both teams to get any rhythm into their game there was a lull in the game where neither goal was threatened. Ellison was brought back into action by keeping out Joe Brandon’s in-swinging effort from the right. But it was Joe Brandon that set up Dock’s 2nd goal cutting in along the bye-line his low cross was finally forced home by Dave Forbes. Minutes later more problems for Cale, a penalty was awarded against them which Mark Jones duly dispatched for the third goal.

Just before half time Aaron Dwyer who had not seen much of the ball got a bit of freedom on the left finding Andy Keogh with his cross who toe poked the ball home to open Cale’s account.

Seven minutes into the second half again the Cale defence was at fault by not clearing their lines which left Dave Forbes the simple chance of netting his second. Cale sent on Paul Walley, Ben Brooks and Liam Tongue for Duane Ridgeway, Joe Armstrong and Alex Crowe. It seemed to fetch new life in their previous lack lustre play. From a Dwyer corner Scott Dignan’s header skidded off the top the bar. Following another goal mouth scramble Carlos Meakin saw his shot actually hit Liam Tongue on the home goal line, from the clearance up field the ball finished up in the back of Cale’s net to get Dave Forbes his hat trick.

At the other end Dwyer curled a shot just wide of the post, good defending saw efforts from both Meakin and Mike Bowler cleared off the line by the Dock defenders. With only minutes left on the clock Ricci Neill should have got his sides sixth goal but shot wide from close range, it was left to Joe Brandon to get that honour outstripping the Cale defence to hit them for 6. Dock will now meet twelve times winners Queens Park in the final.

Click HERE for more photos